Who We Are

Our Chief Pilot

Matt has loved aviation since he first time flying, as a passenger, in 1984.  He spent several years working at Claremore Regional Airport (KGCM) pumping gas and scraping bugs while taking flight lessons from Oscar Watkins, who was quite the legend to those who knew him.  After graduating from Oklahoma State University and commissioning through the AFROTC program he attended Undergraduate Pilot Training at Vance AFB, OK.  After earning his wings, he joined the instructor cadre in the 32d Flying Training Squadron helping to convert pedestrians into aviators.  From there, he was selected to fly the B-1B Bomber, affectionately known as the “Bone” completing combat deployments in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria as well as deterrence deployments and TDYs to many other locations.  In addition to his work at Cowboy Pilot, he flies the Airbus 320 Series for a major airline as well as continuing to serve in the Air Force Reserves as a B-1B Pilot at the 10th Flight Test Squadron at Tinker AFB.

Certifications and Aircraft Flown

Aircraft Flown: C-150, C-152, DA-20, BE-58, T-6A, T-1A, B-1B, A320

Type Ratings: MU-300, BE400, A320

FAA Certificates Held: 
 -Single Engine Commercial
 -Multi Engine Air Transport Pilot
 -Remote Pilot (Part 107)

Over 3,000 hours of flight experience

Part 107 Certification

If you search around for drone operators you will likely see this term thrown around.  In the United States, any drone used for Commercial purposes must be operated under a FAA Part 107 license.  Even if the images or data aren’t being sold directly, if they are involved with a for-profit venture (Such as real estate) then Part 107 applies.  Even if you are only selling your own house and want to use your own drone, those pictures have to be gathered under Part 107 or steep fines may apply.  Those fines do not just apply to the remote pilot that collected the imagery, but also the entities that used them.  

To protect yourself, please ensure that any drone service you hire is Part 107 certified.  They should be able to produce a FAA Airman Certificate that says “Remote Pilot”.  They are usually blue/green and look similar to a driver’s license with no picture which is valid for 2 years, but sometimes may be printed out with the text “Temporary Airman Certificate” that is valid for 120 days.